923 CEDAR AVENUE
Fred, a letter carrier for the post office, and his wife, Hulda, took out a mortgage in 1916 for the construction of 919 Cedar Avenue. They lived at that residence for 10 years until they built the two-family residence at 923 Cedar Avenue for a cost of $10,000. Their first tenant was Elizabeth Tuck. The Wendlers were apparently victims of the Great Depression as they took out additional financing on 923 Cedar Avenue in 1930 and in 1934.
The Wendlers, along with their son Robert, remained in one of the units of 923 Cedar until 1949, when they sold the property to Irwin Steve and his wife. Prior to buying 923 Cedar, Steve built and lived in the Sears “Rodessa” model at 432 Adams Street. At that time, Steve was a machinist at the Elgin Manufacturing Company. The Steve family occupied one of the units at 923 Cedar Avenue until 1946 and then rented the two units to a series of tenants.
923 Cedar Avenue is a 2 story brick building constructed in 1926 for Fred and Hulda Wendler.
It is designed with a simple rectangular shape with a hipped roof, and stacked front porches. The building has several Arts and Crafts features including its wide overhanging eaves, paired windows, and sash windows with multiple lights over a single light. The front door is also in the Arts and Crafts style featuring full glazing with muntins in a geometric design.
Sources: 2015 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud