DOWNTOWN COMMERCIAL DISTRICT
Elgin Downtown Commercial District - 2015
The Elgin Downtown Commercial District was added in 2015 to the National Register of Historic Places. Elgin's downtown is a traditional small central city business district with pockets of commercial buildings from the mid-19th century through the 20th century.
The district is roughly bound by Division Street on the north, Center Street and Villa Court on the east, Fulton Street on the south, and Riverside Drive and Grove Avenue on the west. The properties contained within the district boundary represent an intact commercial core area of downtown Elgin that dates back to the early years of Elgin's settlement history. The boundary area included approximately 98 properties. The downtown has mixed uses with governmental buildings typically at the northwest end and remnants of an industrial district that once lines the Fox River and northernmost boundary of the downtown.
Elgin's Downtown Commercial District is significant due to its association with commercial and business development between 1873 and 1964, an industrial satellite city of Chicago. From early shops of the late 19th century, to the arrival of department and chain stores in the early to mid 20th century, this grouping of historic structures served as the first major business center of the community. It also was the transportation and government heart of the community.
For more information about the Elgin Downtown Commercial District, please see the below links.
City of Elgin
150 Dexter Court
Elgin, IL 60120
Ph: (847) 931-6004
Downtown Neighborhood Association - Elgin
10 N. Spring Street
Elgin, IL 60120
Ph: (847) 488-1456
Or take the self-guided walking tour, found here.
Sources: Elgin Downtown Commercial District National Register of Historic Places Nomination; Audio: Text Aloud