841 BELLEVUE AVENUE
841 Bellevue Avenue was built in 1927 for Louis Joerns and his wife, Marie nee Mundhenk. The property is located in the Grand View Addition. This area was created in 1890 and surveyed by W. W. Abell, a well-known Elgin architect. The original owner of the land was William Grote who was a local realtor, mortgage provider, land speculator and a former Mayor of Elgin.
Louis Joerns and Marie both of who came from Schaumburg, Illinois and were married on June 16, 1921. Louis and Marie had two children, Eugene and Delphine. Louis was employed for 34 years as an auto mechanic at Brotzman and Melms Chevrolet (later renamed Biggers Chevrolet). He was an active member of St. John Lutheran Church. In all of the records, Louis was listed as the builder of this house, so he likely acted as his own general contractor. The home remained in the Joerns family from 1927 until 1993 when it was purchased by the current owners.
841 Bellevue Avenue is an ideal example of the Elgin Bungalow. The features include the centered dormer on a side gabled roof, tapered or battered columns on the porch, divided light windows as well as the use of earth-tones throughout the home.
Sources: 2013 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud