53 CRIGHTON AVENUE
William and Sarah Parry bought lots 5 and 6 of George E. Brown’s Subdivision, which later became 53 Crighton Avenue, to build a house for their Son, Carl. Carl Parry married Edythe Strauss in the summer of 1928. Together, they settled in Elgin and had four children, Dorothy, Margery, Keith and Kenneth.
Built by local Elgin contractors including, Otto and Olsen Cement, and Mason Joe Hober. The Parrys lived in the home lived together in the home until Carl’s death in 1932, with Edythe living there into the 1970s. After Edythe moved out, other members of the Parry family continued living in the home into the new century.
This home is a fine example of one of Elgin’s relatively few Mission style homes. Features indicative of the style include the mission shaped roof dormer, mission shaped parapet above the porch, wide overhanging eaves, square piers, pyramidal roof and asymmetrical façade.
This home also holds a special architectural significance as it is a Sears kit home as well. Named The Alhambra, we can pinpoint for sure that this model is from the 1924 catalog as the number 17090A was found on a beam within the house. Prices for this catalog home ranged from $1,969 to $3,134.
Sources: 1998 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud