528 E. CHICAGO STREET
528 E. Chicago Street was built in 1875 for John and Mary Ann Webb. John and Mary emigrated from England, John being born there in 1817. The Webbs platted a small subdivision known as Webb's Addition comprising of lots along Rugby and Warwick Places. The names are reminiscent of John's fondness of England; Warwick being named after a county that English Watch Manufacturing was once centered and Rugby being named after the popular English sport. The Webbs also built 467 E. Chicago within their subdivision in 1876, likely as an investment property due to the quickness of the sale of the property when it was built.
John learned his trade in watch making in England prior to emigrating to Elgin to work as the supervisor in the Dial Department at the Elgin National Watch Factory.
528 E. Chicago Street is an excellent example of the Italianate Style. Significant features found on this home include the decorative brackets at the deep eaves, the window hoods , the square box bay at the east elevation and side entry porch. The front bay window is a probable alteration as it suggests a Colonial Revival detail.
Sources: 1987 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud