463 E. CHICAGO STREET
463 E. Chicago Street was first platted to the City of Elgin by James T. Gifford (Elgin’s founding father) on October 29, 1846. The lot was sold to several owners before George W. Hinsdell bought the property and built the current home around 1876. George W. Hinsdell was born on April 16, 1852. George married his wife, Ada, on September 17, 1873. His occupation is listed as a tinner in the 1878 city directory. George and Ada only lived in the home until 1879 when the moved to Nebraska where George became the postmaster. In 1894, they returned to Elgin and lived at 135 Tennyson Court. Ada passed away on March 23, 1919 and George passed away on August 25, 1934.
463 E. Chicago is of the Italianate style with a forward facing gabled roof. It is a combination of the Greek Revival house form (gable front roof) and Italianate detailing. While very popular in Elgin, it accounts for only 10% of all Italianate sub-types. Typical of the style, the home has bracketed window hoods, segmental two over two double hung windows, a bay window and a double front entry.
Sources: 2011 Heritage Plaque Application