433 DIVISION STREET
Harley Wayne (b. April 30, 1823) married Ellen Deitz (b. February 24, 1823) in Marengo, Illinois on April 30, 1848. They had two children, a daughter, Ida, who died just before her third birthday and a son, Charles, who was born in Union, Illinois. When Charles was six years old, his father was killed at the Battle of Shiloh in Pittsburgh Landing, Tennessee (April 6, 1862). He served as a Captain in the 15th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Company D during the Civil War.
After her husband's death, Ellen continued to live in Union, Illinois until her son, Charles, completed his education at the University of Chicago in 1880, where he was President of his class. Charles entered the law office of A. B. Coon, a prominent Illinois attorney practicing in Marengo and by 1882, Charles passed the state bar examination. By 1883, Charles, along with his mother, Ellen, moved to Elgin where the bought the house at 433 Division Street from William H. Bullard, who was a builder in Elgin.
After Charles and Ellen moved to Elgin, Charles entered into a partnership with Attorney, John A. Russell. Later that partnership was dissolved and Mr. Wayne entered into the partnership of Botsford, Wayne and Botsford. According to newspaper articles collected and organized into a scrape book by his wife, Mary, Charles became a prominent northern Illinois trial lawyer. Charles entered local politics and soon became Mayor of Elgin from 1895-1896. He declined to run another term and returned to practicing law.
Mary Smith was the daughter of Leonidas and Sarah J. Steward Smith and was born in Nashville, Tennessee. She moved to Elgin with her sister Sarah when their brother Steward received a position as a priest at the Episcopal Church in Elgin. Charles married Mary Carmichael Smith on January 17, 1888. Charles and Mary continued to live at 433 Division Street upon Charles' mother's death in 1900. Charles unexpectedly passed away in 1909 after slipping on ice on a business trip in Chicago. Mary continued to live in the home until her death in 1940.
Prior to Charles' death, Charles and Mary invited his cousin, Esther Bishop, to live with them. Esther became a nurse and married Claude Britton. They moved to Freeport, Illinois shortly after their marriage. Esther eventually came back to Elgin and took care of Mary until Mary's death. Esther became the executor of Mary's estate and inherited the house. She and her husband converted the house to a two flat and later shared the house with their daughter, Mary, and two grandchildren, while their daughter's husband, Mike Farroh, fought in the war. Eventually Mary and Mike Farroh built their own house in Elgin. Esther died in 1949 and Claude continued to live in the house until his death in 1967. At that time, the house was sold.
433 Division is a significant structure in the Elgin Historic District and an excellent example of the Italianate style. This home has an asymmetrical plan with a prominent square tower that has a steep mansard roof and narrow pitched gable roof. The windows are tall and narrow in the classic, Italianate style. The bay window and its detailing suggest a Second Empire influence. The house has many little details added including its dentils, brackets, piazza porch and window surrounds.
Sources: 2012 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud