34 N. PORTER STREET
34 N. Porter Street was built in 1899 for Charles Cornell for $7,000. Cornell was an alderman and water commissioner from 1895-1902. He was born in Illinois around 1859 and married his wife, Belle, around 1897. Charles passed away in 1928. His brother, Frank, lived across the street at 33 N. Porter. The two men operated a creamery together.
34 N. Porter Street was designed by David Postle in the Colonial Revival Style. Some characteristics that can been seen on this home include the Doric pilasters found at the corners of the building, Ionic porch columns, and dentils and brackets along the cornice. As seen in most traditional Colonial Revival styles, the first floor interior of this home is quite spacious, with a large reception hall, library, parlor, dining room and kitchen.
Sources: Gifford Park Association; Audio: TextAloud