111 N. PORTER STREET
111 N. Porter Street was built in 1914 for Clarence and Emma Bishop as an investment property. The Bishops, at that time, lived at 107 N. Porter. Clarence's mother, Emma Stringer Bishop lived in a Bungalow at 121 Monroe Street that is of similar design at 111 N Porter Street. Clarence sold 111 N. Porter Street to Jesse M. Manley and his wife, Mary in 1921. They were the first owners/residents. Jesse Manly worked for the board of education and was an accountant by profession. Mary passed away in 1942 and Jesse in 1944. He left many philanthropic gifts to organizations and individuals in his will. In addition, he left the entire contents of the house to his housekeeper, Elizabeth Jane Gleason, who was hired to maintain the house until it was sold.
111 N. Porter is a good example of a craftsman bungalow. It has a street facing gable, wide, over-hanging eaves, the front porch opens directly into the living room and has casement windows. This house is sided with clapboard, one of the standard sidings associated with bungalows, the others being brick veneer and stucco.
Sources: 2013 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud