102 CRIGHTON AVENUE
In 1888, John W. Seapy bought up multiple lots Crighton Park Addition. The Elgin Daily Courier in December of 1891 published its annual review of all the construction and listed 52 Crighton as being built by David McBridge for John Seapy with barn for $3500. The 1892 Elgin City Directory also lists a John W. Seapy at the property. In 1894, Elgin changed its address number system for the third and last time, making 52 Crighton, 102 Crighton.
John Seapy came to Elgin from Plato Township, where he was a farmer, moving here after his retirement. Seapy and his wife, Clara Heath Seapy, lived together in 102 until they moved to Onatario, California in 1904. The Seapys left behind some family in Elgin, with John's brother living on Park street and Clara's sister living just next door at 105 Crighton.
The Seapys sold 102 Crighton to Fred Lemon. Fred and his son, Sidney, were also farmers. Later on, Sidney went on to own the Lemon Coal Company on South Grove Avenue. Lemon's daughter, Mildred, married Henry Segergren, the assistant vice-president of Woodruff and Edwards Foundry. Fred Lemon died in 1910. 102 Crighton stayed in possession of the Lemon family until 1971.
102 Crighton Avenue is an example of the Queen Anne style. A front facing gable is seen on the facade, with a cross gable extending to the other elevations. The main body of the house has a hipped roof, typical of a common Queen Anne subtype. The asymmetry of the home is also indicative of the Queen Anne style, along with the lack of plain surfaces, ornamentation and colorful exterior. Some elements of the Italianate style appear in the dentils on the bay window, another popular style in the late 1800s.
Sources: 2003 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud