1017 CEDAR AVENUE
Built in 1925, 1017 Cedar Avenue was constructed by local carpenter Sheldon Logan. It was built in the R.N. Botsford Addition, a development of one-time Elgin mayor, William Grote, who served the city from 1891 to 1895. The home itself was completed in 1925 for Morris Hintt who became Elgin's Fire Chief from 1942 to 1947. In 1954, Chief Hintt died at the age of 62 but his wife, Ethel, continued living in the home until her own passing in 1962. Those 38 years marked the longest continuous line of ownership for 1017 Cedar Avenue.
1017 Cedar Avenue is one of Elgin's many Craftsman Bungalows. Popular for their size and affordability, their spread propelled a number of working class people into the realm of being able to afford a home. Historic photographs show one of the style's hallmarks: the overhanging eave with exposed rafter ends. While some changes have been made over the years, other typical characteristics have remained including the height of one and a half stories, a square tapered porch column on a partial-width porch and front-facing gables.
Sources: 2002 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud