WING PARK - GOLF COURSE
Here is a place to make an historic hole in one. Opened in 1909, this was the first municipally owned golf course in Illinois. The city built it so the general public could have a chance to play the newly fashionable game of golf. Up until that time, golf was largely a game for the wealthy who could afford memberships at country clubs. The course was laid out by Thomas Bendelow, a noted designer who created more than 600 other courses. Because of its special history, the course was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.