946 BELLEVUE AVENUE
In May of 1890, Louis Schroeder purchased a lot in the Grandview Addition for $400. A year later, a trust deed (loan) was made by Schroeder for $2,100. Similarly, a building permit was issue in 1891 to Louis Schroeder for a brick house at Bellevue and Cooper for $2,100.
The Elgin City Directory from 1891-92 is the first to list 570 Bellevue Avenue, and when the city realigned its street addresses for the final time, 570 became 946 Bellevue.
Schroeder was born in Elgin and worked in his father’s harness shop, eventually becoming the owner. He was a member of the Elgin Fire Department, working for many years at Firehouse #3 on Dundee Avenue. In the 1880s, Louis’ brother, Theodore, was the city fire marshal and his sister, Caroline Volstorff (nee Schroeder), lived on the lot next door with her family. Later, in the 1940s, Schroeder’s heirs quit claimed their interest in 946 Bellevue, and eventually Roswell Coburn purchased the home in 1944. 946 Bellevue saw a number of owners in the next couple decades.
946 Bellevue Avenue is a nice example of the Gable-Ell style, with its full two-story structure with a front facing gable with a side-gable intersection. Also typical of the style is the shed-roofed porch within the the L made by the two wings. Often, Gable-Ell houses often take on elements of other styles as a way to add more individual stylistic features. At 946 Bellevue, elements of the Italianate style are noted in the tall narrow windows with a flattened arch.
Sources: 2000 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud