937 BROOK STREET
937 Brook Street was built in 1937 for August H. and Hannah Hameister. August was a production manager at the D. C. Cook Publishing Company, retiring in 1946. He and his wife, Hannah, and their children; Carolyn, Glenn and Richard, then moved to 64 Lovell Street. Hameister remained in the publishing business, working at Hall Printing Company.
The Hameister family kept the house only nine years before selling it to Marshall Silbert in 1946. Silbert operated his own business related to items made at the Watch Factory. Silbert kept the house until 1964.
937 Brook Street is considered a contributing property within the Northeast Neighborhood. It is a side gabled, brick, two story, Colonial Revival style building. The front facade has a centered front entry door that opens onto a concrete stoop. There is no roof over the entry and the decoration surrounding the door is flat with a triangular pediment, pilasters on either side of the door and a half-circle window over the door.
The addition, appearing to have been added in the 1950s, has the same side gabled roof, windows, and eave lines as the main body of the original house, complementing it nicely.
Sources: 2008 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud