929 HILL AVENUE
In 1925, a man named Walter Jensen, a local builder following in the footsteps of his father Henry Jensen, purchased the lot where 929 Hill Avenue would eventually stand. A permit for electrical installation was issued to Jensen in April 1926, suggesting improvements tied to the building of a home. By the 1927-28 City Directory, a Virgil Hayward is listed as occupying 929 Hill, renting from Jensen until 1934 when he became the sole owner of the home. Quickly after securing ownership, however, Hayward sold the property to Dorothy Kendall who lived in the home for the next 12 years.
In 1947, Kendall and her husband sold 929 Hill to Edward Voltz. Voltz occupied the home from 1947 until 1955 when he sold it to Henry Anderson. Anderson stayed in the home for the next 48 years.
The Northeast Neighborhood: A Summary and Inventory lists 929 Hill Avenue as a bungalow that contributes to the historical significance of the area. This property also exhibits a number of the typical features for the bungalow style including the clapboard siding; vertical and horizontal banding that outlines the house; the fact that it is one story and the 3 over 1 windows on the front porch.
Sources: 2004 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud