92 S. JACKSON STREET
92 S. Jackson Street was built around 1886 for Terrence and Catherine Connor. Terrence was noted as a blacksmith and horseshoer following in his father’s footsteps. He emigrated from Ireland in the early 1850s with his parents, Michael and Mary. His mother passed away shortly after settling in Elgin at the age of 40 in 1852. Terrence married Catherine Lynch in the early 1860s and had several children including Mary, Katherine, William, Lucy, Margaret, and James. Terrence passed away in 1922 with Catherine preceding him in death in 1919.
This home is considered a part of the Spindlework sub-type of the Queen Anne Style. However, it has seen some alterations including the installation of aluminum siding, removal of the decorative window hoods, removal of the highly ornate vergeboard found at the front and side gables, alteration of the front porch roof from a mansard roof to a gable roof and removal and enclosure of the side porch balustrade. Although many of the details were removed, the original porch columns at the front and side porches, the stained glass and picture window at the front façade as well as the main massing of the home have been unaltered.
Sources: There Used to Be by Steve Stroud; Audio: TextAloud