907 DOUGLAS AVENUE
The lot upon which 907 Douglas Avenue was built was purchased by Albert and Jennie Dohle from the estate of Edward C. Lovell in May of 1907 for the sum of $1,000. What had once been the Lovell family farm had become the “Lovell’s Grove Addition” to the rapidly growing city of Elgin. Lovell’s Grove and the surrounding area had become the popular location among local business owners for construction of some of the area’s finest homes.
The August 27, 1908 Elgin Daily Courier described was then considered the ‘Gold Coast’ of Elgin. Albert J. Dohle was a Salesman at McBride Brothers automobile dealership and was also an inspector with the Department of Weights & Measures. The construction permit was secured and the home built sometime during the summer of 1907, with the mortgage in the amount of $2,700 secure in September of that year. The 1909-1910 Elgin City Directory shows that Albert was promoted to Manager at McBride Brothers and had also become the City of Elgin Police and Fire Commissioner.
It is unknown how long the Dohle family stayed in the 907 Douglas home.
907 Douglas is an example of a Prairie style home with some defining features including the emphasis on the horizontal like the full-width porch, low pitched hipped roof with hipped dormers, square brick porch supports and wide overhanging eaves. Its rectangular floor plan is emphasized by the 2-story height and full brick exterior. Features like the paired windows and balustrade hint toward a Colonial Revival influence.
Sources: 1995 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud