902 BELLEVUE AVENUE
902 Bellevue Avenue was built in 1925 and once belonged to George and Bess Chapman along with their two children. George worked at the Watch Case Factory, which was just a few blocks away. At that time, the cost to build 902 Bellevue was $3,500.
The builder, William Seegert, was not nearly as prolific as the Andresen Brothers, Roy Covey or William Waterman, but he is nevertheless a major builder of bungalows found throughout Elgin. He lived not far from this house at 736 Logan Avenue (another home he constructed) with his wife Alma and their children.
This home, on the corner of Bellevue and Slade Avenues, is the prototypical Craftsman Bungalow. It has front and side gables that contain original multi-lite windows and original four over one lite windows found throughout the first floor. The porch has been enclosed, but was done in accordance with the style of the original portions of the building.
Sources: 2013 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud