900 N. SPRING STREET
900 N. Spring Street was built for George W. and Mary Gios in 1899. George married Mary F. Alden on October 12, 1897 and quickly built their new home. George was the President of the First National Bank of Elgin and became its President in 1940. It is noted that the northern area of the Spring-Douglas Historic District was home to many owner/proprietors of large retail establishments and bankers. Mary passed away in 1942 and 15 years later, George passed away ending the 56 years of ownership of the Gios family.
The house at 900 N. Spring Street is considered one of the earliest examples of the Colonial Revival style in this area. The house is 2 1/2 stories tall and has several details reflecting the style including the dentil trim, diamond light windows, and a classical front porch extending the entire width of the house. A kitchen addition was added to the rear in the early 1990s but does not retract away from the integrity of this home.
Sources: 2003 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud