830 BELLEVUE AVENUE
830 Bellevue Avenue is located in the Grand View Addition. This area was created in 1890 and surveyed by W. W. Abell, a well-known Elgin architect. The original owner of the land was William Grote who was a local realtor, mortgage provider, land speculator and a former Mayor of Elgin.
This home was built by and for William H. Behrens and his wife, Emma. William was an Elgin contractor, who was responsible for building three other homes on Bellevue including 736, 737 and 833 Bellevue Avenue. He built several other homes in Elgin in addition to these homes. He built this home next to his father and mother, Ferdinand and Minnie Behrens, in 1924. He paid $425 for the unimproved lot and built this excellent Bungalow that same year.
830 Bellevue Avenue is an excellent example of a Craftsman Style Bungalow. The features include the centered dormer on a side gabled roof, tapered or battered columns on the porch, divided light windows, a prominent fireplace as well as the use of earth-tones throughout the home.
Sources: 2013 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud