754 W. HIGHLAND AVENUE
In 1890, a strip of land running north from Highland along McClure Avenue on the Final McClure’s property was purchased by Charles Woolf. Ten years later, Charles warranted the lot to his son, William. In the annual reporting of building permits issued in the Elgin Daily Courier for the year 1906, they reported permits granted to Charles Woolf for two houses, one on McClure and one on Highland Avenues. Because Charles had already warranted the land on Highland to William, it is likely that the home was a gift for him as well. Additionally, in January of 1907, the Elgin Daily News reported of William’s wedding to Lydia.
William Woolf began working at the Watch Factory in 1897 and stayed there until December 1943, when he retired. He died in 1951, with his daughter, Dorothy, inheriting the house after his passing.
754 W. Highland Avenue is a Colonial Revival style house, of the Dutch Colonial sub-type as noted by the gambrel roof. Classic column porch supports have been removed, but were once original to the home, additionally supporting the Colonial Revival status. Other features common the style are the accentuated door (in this case by the full-width porch); windows with double hung sashes; and windows in adjacent pairs.
Sources: 2002 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud