713 N. GROVE AVENUE
713 N. Grove Avenue was built by Roy J. Covey, one of Elgin's most prolific bungalow builders. He built at least 11 bungalows in the 700 block of North Grove and many others around Elgin, primarily in this neighborhood.
The first owners of 713 N. Grove were Carl and Mathilda Rauschert, who bought the home from Mr. Covey in 1927. Carl was a native of Elgin being born here in 1894. He married Mathilda in 1921 at about the same time Carl started working as a jeweler in Elgin. He was part owner of Johnson Brothers & Rauschert jewelry firm located at 169 E. Chicago Street.
Carl died quite young of a rather unpleasant consequence in 1931. Mathilda then married Fred Wolff and moved out of this home but still rented it for several years.
713 N. Grove Avenue is a Craftsman Style Bungalow defined by its street facing gables with shingled roof, stained in an earth tone color, casement windows and an arched opening for the front door.
Sources: 2013 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud