705 LINDEN AVENUE
Albert Reeves, a carpenter, worked for the Illinois Condensing Company, the New York Condensed Milk Company, and the Borden Condensed Milk Company. He bought the property at 705 Linden Street in 1893, and according to the past owners he had his uncle construct the house.
In 1909, the house was sold to Thomas Dougherty, but he passed away only a few short years later in 1913. After switching a few hands, Theodora Behrens purchased the home for $2,800. When Theodora passed away, her daughter Emma inherited the home. Emma rented the home out during her period of possession.
One pair of renters, William and Katherine, were first seen in the 1925-26 Elgin City Directory, owned the property by 1927.
In 1999, it went through an extensive rehabilitation process.
705 Linden Avenue is in the Queen Anne style, noted by the front gabled with a cross gable in back, the decorative shingles in the roof peaks, and the irregular, asymmetrical form. Italianate features seen on the home include the ornate architectural elements including the porch adorned with scroll-work brackets. These brackets are also seen below the window on the main façade.
Sources: 2000 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud