70 S. CHAPEL STREET
The site of 70 S. Chapel Street originally featured an octagon house, which was destroyed by fire in 1897. The present home that overlooks Gifford Park, was built for Thomas W. Plant who almost immediately sold it to Thomas Dakin, the owner of the Elgin Hotel, who then sold it to George Cook, son of David C. Cook (105 N. Gifford) at a cost of $7,500 in 1899.
This stately manor, designed by W.Wright Abell and built by W.G. Wilcox, is dominated by its gambrel roof, shingled gambrel dormer facade and palladian window. It originally featured ten large rooms with an interior finished in various hardwoods. In addition, the basement garage has a revolving turntable in the floor, which enabled the owner to never have to back out of the house. As of 2015, the current owner has made progress on restoring the front porch to its original glory.
Sources: 1986 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud