691 LINDEN AVENUE
The property at 691 Linden Avenue was once described as a "very deep yard that will be a gardener's delight." The property was subdivided by two brothers, Edward and Alvin Lohbauer, in October of 1928. At this time, it was the peak of land acquisition and building in Elgin. Both brothers used the land to build their future homes, where Alvin was at 701 Linden and Edward at 691 Linden. Alvin Lohbauer was in the sheet metal business while his other brothers, Edward and Arnold went into business as Lohbauer Brothers, electrical contractors.
Edward Lohbauer was one of a large family of Lohbauers who lived in the Lord's Park area and to this day, family members continue to live there! Edward and his wife, Martha, had four children. Edward worked at Western Electric in Chicago and for McGraw Edison in Elgin. In 1936, Edward sold 691 Linden and moved his family to 628 Hill Avenue where he lived until his death in 1982.
691 Linden Avenue is a contributing structure in the neighborhood and built in the Tudor Revival Style. The Tudor Revival style is the second most well represented historic style in this area, with eighteen single family homes and one apartment building in this style. All of the significant Tudor Revival houses in this area are relatively small for this style but are generally rich in stylistic detail.
691 Linden Avenue is a plain, two-story house clad with dark brick in the lower level and shingle in its upper level. The steep front facing gable has plain verge boards and paired windows in the upper level with a shed dormer in the east plane. The first floor of the front facade has a group of three windows. A side gabled section is also steep and contains simple paired windows in its upper level. A tall outside chimney is on the west facade. The east corner of the front facade is an inset porch with rounded arch openings.
Sources: 2008 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud