673 EASTVIEW AVENUE
In 1928, Alfred Moritz purchased the block 2 in the Eastview Addition of Elgin. Moritz then executed a trust deed to Robert Marckhoff and built 673 Eastview. The Elgin City Directory of 1929-30 first lists 673 Eastview Avenue and notes Moritz as the owner.
Moritz was a bricklayer by trade, likely working on his own home here at 673 Eastview. He moved to Elgin from Chicago, and likely moved back to the city after selling 673 to Harold Martin in 1949, after 21 years in the home.
Martin owned Martin Oil Company which is still in business under the ownership of Harold’s son, Don. In 1958, Harold sold his home at 673 Eastview.
The Lord’s Park Neighborhood Historic Resources Survey lists 673 Eastview as contributing to the historic significance of the area, and is an example of the Tudor Revival style. Because the first owner was a bricklayer, he likely worked on his own house. Some of common Tudor Revival features seen at 673 Eastview include steeply pitched roof; dominant front gable with intersecting cross gable; decorative brickwork around window crowns, particularly those with arched emphasis; and multi-pane glazing grouped windows.
Sources: 2002 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud