653 PARK STREET
653 Park Street was built in 1926 for Elmer and Alma Lemke. Elmer and Alma purchased the lot from Louis and Martha in 1925. They had architect W. J. Waterman draw up plans and elevations of the proposed home. The current owners still have the original drawings that are dated from October 14, 1925. At that time, Lemke was the purchasing agent for the Elgin Sweeper Company.
653 Park Street is an excellent example of a Craftsman Style Bungalow. Typical of this style is its wide eaves, battered porch columns and brick knee walls. It also has a front facing projecting porch and side facing gables.
The lot at 653 Park Street was once owned by Louis and Martha Brandes. Louis and Martha owned the house next door at 657 Park Street. The Brandes home was built as a Bungalow in 1917 by Alexander McTavish who lived at 650 Park Street. It is quite likely that Mr. McTavish was the builder for 653 Park Street as well.
Sources: 2015 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud