640 EASTVIEW STREET
On June 24, 1886 lot 6 in the Eastview Addition was purchased by Emma A. Mead and F. W. Mead, her husband, from Jane Cole, a widow, for the sum of $325.00.
By August of 1886, a mortgage was issued by Emma and Frank to the Elgin Loan & Homestead Association for the sum of $1,100. A jump in price such as this indicates that during that span between the sale for $325 and this sale for $1,100, a home was built on the property.
On December 24, 1886, a list of all real estate properties – both commercial and residential – that had built during that year were listed in the Elgin Daily Courier. In the article, it notes that Frank had built a two story frame dwelling for roughly $2,000.
The 1887-88 Elgin City Directory also lists Frank and Emma at 460 Eastview Street. Street names and number designations changed numerous times until 1894, and therefore 460 ultimately became 640 Eastview. City Directories often list the occupation of the occupants, with Frank and Emma being listed as a traveling salesman and milliner, respectfully.
It is unclear how many years the Mead family stayed in this home, or what families have owned the property until the more recent property owners.
640 Eastview is a nice example of a Folk Victorian, Gable-Ell Home. Popular long period of time spanning from the mid-1800s until roughly the 1930s, this style crossed through many of the Victorian-era styles but retained less elaborate ornamentation resulting its widespread popularity with those living on more modest, working-class means.
Common features of the style seen here include the L-shaped floor plan, the 2-story height, and the prominent front-facing gable. Wood clapboard siding with wood 1-over-1 double-hung windows and a prominent, wrap-around front porch are also indicative of this style. The dentil frieze, wood columns on the porch, and the bay window are three significant, character defining features of this style as well.
The Illinois Urban Architectural and Historical Survey in 1999 lists this home as a contributing structure to the local historical significance of the neighborhood.
Sources: 1991 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud