630 N. SPRING STREET
630 N. Spring Street was built for Richard W. Bridge and his wife, Anne, in 1926. Richard was a plumber who ran his business out of his home. He came to Elgin from Ontarioville, Illinois in 1901 and established a business at 276 Percy Street. He and Anne, together with their daughter Eicele, who was a high school teacher in Elgin, and their son, James W., who worked in advertising in Chicago had this house built. Anne passed away in 1939 though, Richard and Eicele continued to live in this home until he passed away in 1960 at the age of 89 years old. Eicele lived in the home for another year, then James and his wife, Ruth, took over ownership of the home. Eicele moved to a nearby apartment on Seneca Street until she retired. James passed away in 1976 and Ruth remained in the home until she sold it in 1979.
630 N. Spring Street is an excellent example of a Craftsman Bungalow. The term Craftsman comes from the popular Craftsman magazine published by Gustav Stickley from 1901 to 1916. The characteristics of the Craftsman Bungalow is its front facing gable, wide overhanging eaves, the use of earth tone colors in the paint scheme and the three-quarter width front porch. In the interior, there are built-in cabinets, wood trim and an arched opening leading from the living room to the dining room.
Sources: 2013 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud