612 PARK STREET
612 Park Street was built in 1922 for Fred and Adella Lichthardt. Fred was a carpenter by trade and it is implied that many of the interior built-ins were built by him. Before moving to 612 Park Street, the Lichthardts lived at 479 Barrett Street. The Lichthardts lived in the home until 1939 when the sold it to Edward and Sophia Gudeman. The Lichthardts moved to 144 S. Chapel Street.
Edward Gudeman was the owner of Gudeman's Coal and Ice Company. There is a light switch plate cover in the home that still carries his company's label. The business was once located at 176 N. Grove Avenue, now, the current site of the Hemmens Auditorium. In 1977, after Edward's death, Sophia moved in with her daughter and sold the house to its current owners.
612 Park Street is a vernacular bungalow with subtle Prairie Style influences. The low hipped-gable roof and wide eaves are the most distinctive exterior elements of the house. Other contributing details include the brick veneer, multi-pane-over-one, double-hung windows, and limestone sills. Changes to the home's exterior include the screened enclosure of the front porch and the side walls of the dormers have been covered with asphalt shingles, both changes were made by the Gudemans.
Sources: 2009 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud