611 ORANGE STREET
611 Orange Street was built in 1926 for Gerald and Jessie Ogden for $3,500. Both natives of Wisconsin and born in 1897, Gerald and Jessie moved to Elgin shortly after they were married on November 24, 1920. Gerald was employed with the Elgin National Watch Company. He and Jessie had four children including: Josephine, Joyce, Gloria and Gerald W. Jr. Jessie continued to live at 611 Orange Street when Gerald Sr. passed away in 1964. She remained in the home until her death in 1985.
611 Orange Street was built in the Dutch Colonial Revival Style. Some of the elements of the house include the distinctive side-facing gambrel roof with continuous front and back shed dormers; symmetrical front facade; pedimented front entry porch; as well as its three-over-one double-hung, grouped windows found throughout the facade.
Sources: 2009 Heritage Plaque Application; FindAGrave.com, Audio: TextAloud