585 PARK STREET
585 Park Street was built for Henry and Mathilda Hopp for $7,500. Henry Hopp's father was a farmer in South Elgin where Hopp's Corner used to be (now a Walgreens). Henry attended business college and remained in the business field for his lifetime. He operated a grocery store in South Elgin for 18 years, was an agent for Nash/Packard/Chrysler automobiles and operated Hopp's Bakery at 64 S. Grove Avenue in downtown Elgin for 38 years. He was on the Board of Directors of the Elgin National Bank for 20 years, a director of Elgin Loan and Homestead for 16 years, and its treasurer for 8 of those years. Mathilda Hopp was the daughter of Fred Volstorff, one of the two brothers who owned and operated Volstorff Brothers Meat Market at 17 N. Grove.
Henry and Mathilda Hopp had two daughters, Marilyn and Lucille. The daughters took over ownership of the home in 1967 and a year after their mother passed away, they sold the home in 1978, thus ending the 53 years of continuous possession by the Hopp family.
The Colonial Revival style appeared after the turn of the century, when housing styles were becoming simpler and less "busy." It was based on earlier Adam and Georgian houses of the formative years of the Untied States. The side gabled Colonial Revival was popular from around 1915 to 1940.
Colonial Revival elements found on 585 Park Street are the gambreled roof, paired windows, the single storied wing on the east facade and the centered front entry. The front entry has a Greek influenced pediment above rounded columns forming a porch; sidelights are found on either side of the door. Windows in the front facade are symmetrically balanced above and around the centered front door. 585 Park Street is listed as a contributing structure to the historic significance of the Elgin Historic District.
Sources: 2003 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud