566 COLUMBIA AVENUE
Thomas McBride, Sr. had a farm on the east side of Dundee Avenue that ran from south of Columbia Avenue north to Shoe Factory Road and then east. Part of his farmland had been annexed to the city of Elgin to be named McBride's Second Addition. In 1893, lot 8 in block 6 of the Addition was deeded to E. Dunbar Waldron among other properties. As Elgin's housing boom peaked, many sought to sell their extra land for top dollar. Such is the case with lot 8 which was purchased and built upon by Susie and Delbert Hyde with the 1925-26 City Directory the first to list a house at 566 Columbia Avenue.
Delbert and Susie lived together at 566 until his death in 1933, with her passing away following ten years later in 1943. Following legal transactions to sort out heirs of the property, the house was sold to Carl Anderson in 1946. Two years later, he deeded the property to his son Edward who worked at the Watch Case Company. Edward remained at the property until 1988.
566 Columbia Avenue is a good example of the single story bungalow. Bungalows frequently exhibit dormers, a rectangular plan, prevailing during the 1920s. Other common elements of the bungalow style seen here are the hipped roof and dormer; rectangle floor plan; full-width front porch with slightly tapered porch supports; and the triple window on the facade.
Sources: 2004 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud