54 LINCOLN AVENUE
Roy Covey was the son of Herbert Covey, who was half of Covey Brothers, prominent builders in Elgin. Review of building permits in the 1920s reveals that Roy Covey built numerous houses in Elgin's north end. Roy Covey sold the east half of lots 35 and 40 to Dr. Chappell, a dentist, in 1927. Covey mortgaged the west half of the lots in February of 1928 and in June, sold the property to Alma McBrien. Frank McBrien, Alma's husband, was a projectionist at the Egyptian Theater in DeKalb, Illinois. It is likely that Covey built 54 Lincoln Avenue in 1928. In February 1930, the McBriens gave up their interest in 54 Lincoln, turning it back to Roy Covey. In 1932, Covey sold the house to Clarence Roberts. In June of 1942, the house was bought by Benjamin Lessing. It stayed in possession of the Lessings until 1960.
54 Lincoln Avenue is considered of the Spanish Eclectic style. This style typically has a gabled roof, rough faced stucco, and arched openings. These houses are also, usually asymmetrical. Although a somewhat unusual style, there are 11 examples in the Northeast neighborhood. Two cottages are considered significant, at 329 Congdon Avenue as well as this home. This cottage has a cross-gabled roof with one prominent front-facing gable. Its wall surfaces are rough stucco and it has an arched entrance and attic window.
Sources: 2003 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud