508 HILL AVENUE
The lot at 580 Hill Avenue was sold on March 7, 1889 to Charles Rippberger including lots 1-9 in this subdivision for $2,000. Rippberger was an Elginite who was a big time player in real estate. He sold lot 5 in 1889 to Jane Runge for $240 of which Jane and her husband, Augustus, built the existing home the following year. Their home was built of frame construction by Elgin contractor, C. F. Dutton. Augustus was an employee of the Elgin Wind Power and Pump Company.
The Runge family remained in the home only four years before selling all of their property to Henry Henings in 1894 for $2,300. Henings used the home as a rental property until selling it to Calvin and Anna Britton in 1910. Calvin passed away in 1921 leaving Anna the home. She remained there until her death in 1935.
580 Hill Avenue is a simple, functional home in the Gable-Front configuration home. The windows have plain surrounds topped with a simplistic header. The only detail found on the home is the centered, gable front stoop with a pediment roof, frieze with decorative brackets and spindled columns. Although the home is plain, it is functional and a typical example of the National Folk style.
Sources: 1996 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud