507 WING PARK BOULEVARD
The home at 507 Wing Park first appears in the 1937-38 City Directory. After the 1947-48 directory was published, homeowners on the corner of Wing Park Boulevard and Lawrence Avenue petitioned the City of Elgin for annexation of their property into city limits. The feat was accomplished by unanimous vote of the city council in June 1950. In the 4 years that followed properties sprawling west from Wing Park were also annexed, adding to the expanding Elgin city limits.
In July 1949, Carl Kienzle sold his two and one-half lot property to Carl Seagren, former president of what became Illinois Hydraulic Construction Company. Other owners after Seagren included D. Louis Steinberg, a physician and Grant McDonald, an international banker.
507 Wing Park is a local example of the Tudor style. These homes are loosely based on the Medieval English counterparts and were popular in the early 1900s. Elements of the style seen in 507 include the steeply pitched roof; a façade dominated by one or more prominent front-facing gables; exhibiting one or more flared eaves; small entry porches and tall, narrow windows with multiple panes.
Sources: 2004 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud