503 HENDEE STREET
The property at 503 Hendee Street was once owned by Louis Anderson who was a well-digger and real estate speculator. Anderson sold the property to Curtis Taylor who built his home in 1922. Curtis was a charge attendant at the State Hospital when he bought the land but later, he was listed as a carpenter. Curtis unfortunately lost the home in 1936. The home was then sold by the insurance company to Werner M. Lienert and his wife, Pauline (Cernick) in 1937. Werner and Pauline lived at 618 Columbia Avenue prior to moving to 503 Hendee Street. Werner worked at the Elgin National Watch Company in the machine department. The Lienerts lived in the home until in the 1950s when they sold it to Pauline Bohner, the widow of Henry Bohner, who was an electrical engineer for the ice factory.
503 Hendee Street was built in the Craftsman Bungalow style. Characteristics of this style include the central dormer, wide eaves and hipped roof. Its porch has been closed in, but still maintains the appearance of a porch.
Sources: 2010 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud