490 DIVISION STREET
490 Division Street was built by the original owner, John Fluck in 1892. Fluck was an English immigrant who settled in Elgin in 1881. At that time, Fluck was cited repeatedly in the construction reviews as Elgin was entering a time of increased prosperity and growth where housing was in demand. He worked for Turnbull Brothers and was credited for doing masonry work on several buildings throughout Elgin including the Abby Wing School (currently the Burnham Schoolhouse Apartments); the First Universalist Church (currently Prince of Peace Church); the Beckwith Building on S. Grove Avenue; 32 Hill Avenue; 344 Raymond Street; and Elgin's fourth City Hall built in 1893 (demolished in 1969) , among many others. Fluck lived in his cottage at 488 Division Street before moving to 857 St. Charles Street, where he remained until his passing in 1908. He was a lifelong member of the Methodist Church; his son J.E. Fluck became a minister.
John Fluck and his wife Sarah did not own this home long as they quickly sold it to William Pask and his wife.
490 Division Street is an excellent example of a worker's cottage. Some of the defining characteristics of this style includes a one and one half story with a gable roof, minimal details on the structure itself, some details on the porch and window moldings. The cream colored brick is accented with a deep purple sandstone that is found above the first floor windows and wraps around the entire home.
Sources: 2013 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud