480 DIVISION STREET
In 1887, the Elgin Daily Courier wrote that William Pask built a two story frame house on Division Street for $1,800 in its annual construction reviews. The 1890-91 Elgin City Directory lists Pask and his family at 480 Division Street.
William Pask was a “market” or “truck” gardener, largely growing produce for market. He died in March of 1897 at the age of 71. After his passing, his son, Frank and William’s widow, Mary Ann, are listed at 480 Division. Mary Ann passed away in 1919 while living at Sherman hospital caring for her son, Frank.
William and Mary Ann’s other son, George, lived at 476 Division with his family and was a letter carrier in Elgin. George’s daughter lived in the upstairs apartment of that home until her father died and she rented it out to others while moving down to the main floor. Their daughters, Julia and Evangeline, married Reverend O.H. Hubbard and Albert Force, respectively. It was Evangeline and her husband Albert that lived in and cared for 480 Division after both her parents passed. Evangeline, Albert and their son Joseph lived in 480 until 1941 when they sold to George Schellenberger and ended a 54-year run of Pask ownership in the home.
480 Division is a simple gable front and wing, two-story home designed in the Italianate style. Although it does not have a bracketed cornice, its large overhanging eaves and brackets found at the front porch and side porches imply the Italianate style.
Sources: 2002 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud