471 DIVISION STREET
In 1903, Simon Kiltz bought lot 1 in block 4 of Walker's Addition for $900. As a builder and contractor, Kiltz built a house on this lot in 1905. He lived at 471 Division Street for a short time before renting the home out to Reverend Joseph Ladd in 1907. Reverend Ladd was an editor for the David C. Cook Publishing Company. One story states that weddings were performed in the vestibule of the house.
In October of 1913, Simon moved to Los Angeles, CA and sold the home to Frank McEwan. McEwan sold the home three years later to William Switzer. Reverend Ladd continued to live in the house until around 1920 when Switzer moved in. By 1940, Switzer was retired from the watch factory and in May of 1947, sold the house to Clarence Tucker. Tucker was an employee of the St. Charles Manufacturing Company and lived in the home until 1951. The house was sold to another watch factory employee, Robert Gray, Sr. 33 years later, Robert Gray, Jr. acquired the house and sold it in 1992.
471 Division Street is listed as a contributing structure to the historic significance of this area. It is of the American Foursquare typology with craftsman style details. It is clad in stucco with shingled siding at its roof peaks. The porch has square porch supports and a pediment roof over the front steps. A leaded glass window in the west side bay suggests the Prairie Style.
Sources: 1996 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud