471 ARLINGTON AVENUE
In 1916, lot 11 was sold to Royal Spear, a physician. The 1917-18 Elgin City Directory has no listing for 471 Arlington but does list Royal Spear in 1920. President Wilson ordered that no new housing construction would take place in the United States in 1918 so that all resources could be directed to WWI efforts.
471 stayed under the ownership of the Spear family until 1951 when Anna Spear, at that point then a widow, sold it on contract to Tom Lonergan. After Lonergan and his wife divorced in 1957, he gave up ownership to the house to his ex-wife. The contract sale was part of Anna Spear's estate when it was probated in 1960 ad. It was then released by the estate in 1969 when 471 Arlington was sold for the second time to Arthur and Lois Vogts.
471 Arlington Avenue is in the Elgin National Watch Factory Historic District. The home was designed in the Free Classic sub-type of the Queen Anne style. Characteristics of this sub-type found on this home include the full-width porch with classical columns, the symmetrical facade with side porches and a front facing gabled roof that is often pedimented.
Sources: 2003 Heritage Plaque Application, Audio: TextAloud