465 DIVISION STREET
The property, once owned by George and Mary Lord, was sold to Julia Emma Luttrell in 1891 at a cost of $350. Within the same year, Julia had local builder, Simon Kiltz build the cottage for $1,000. Born in Dublin, Ireland in 1848, Julia and her husband, Theopholus, moved to Elgin at the age of 20 in the prospect of becoming United States citizens. Theopholus served honorably in the Union Army in the Civil War but suffered an injury that disabled him. Both Julia and Theopholus worked at the Elgin Watch Factory as a watchmaker and gilder. They lived quietly together at 19 S. Channing Street until Theopholus' death in 1890 from Tuberculosis. He was buried at Bluff City Cemetery. A year after his death, Julia built 465 Division Street and lived there until her death in 1909. The house went to their unmarried daughter, Emma.
465 Division Street is considered a Folk Victorian worker's cottage and is a prevalent type of home for those who came to work in the Elgin National Watch Factory. The one and a half story home exhibits a front gabled roof with Queen Anne style details. The details include simple window hoods, an ornate porch with a spindled frieze, and turned columns with milled brackets.
Sources: 2015 Heritage Plaque Application