464 S. STATE STREET
464 S. State Street was built in 1925 for Scott S. and Jessie Weidner. Scott and Jessie bought this property in 1921 when they lived next door and contracted J.F. Blair to build this home. Scott and Jessie were married in 1895 in Newkirk, Oklahoma and moved to Elgin shortly thereafter. Jessie was a watchmaker at the Elgin National Watch Company and Scott was a school janitor. The Weidners filed for divorce in 1927, leaving the home to Jessie. Jessie re-married Edward E. Gray and quickly sold the home in 1930. The new owners, Emil L. and Maude Brettman moved here from 620 Orange Street. They quietly lived at 464 S. State Street until they sold the house to Laurel W. and Isabelle Boelter in 1951. The Boelters in turn sold the house to Joe T. Cantrell and his wife, Virginia in 1955.
464 S. State Street is a Colonial Revival style home. Characteristics of the Colonial Revival style can be seen on this home including the side gabled roof with cornice returns; 1/4 round attic windows; enclosed sun-room; four-over-one and five-over-one wood double-hung windows; and a front entry porch with pediment, frieze and wood, round columns.
Sources: 2010 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud