448 OAK STREET
448 Oak Street was built by C. W. Zimmerman for Otto D. and Marie (Wylie) Johnson in 1923. Otto grew up in Elgin living not too far from this home at 269 Orange Street with his parents, John E. and Clara (Dahlstrom) Johnson. John was a retired farmer, who worked some land in the Plato Township. Otto and his wife, Marie, both worked at the Elgin National Watch Company. Otto worked in the Adjusting Department while Marie worked in the Plate Annex. A year after they were wed, they had twin daughters, Marilyn June and Marie Jeannette in 1924. Otto passed away on July 1, 1956. Marie remained in the home until 1982 when the home was passed on to one of their grandchildren.
448 Oak Street is a classic example of an early 20th century bungalow. The house embodies several distinctive characteristics of the Bungalow typology including the elevated front porch, tapered columns, natural colored exterior, four-over-one double-hung, grouped windows and large overhanging eaves.
Sources: 2010 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud