443 W. CHICAGO STREET
443 W. Chicago Street was built for Thomas and Martha McBride in 1891. This Thomas McBride son of Henry and Margoret, is not to be confused by one of the wealthiest Elginites at the time, Thomas McBride, son of Thomas and Rebecca, who built 57 Douglas Avenue. Thomas of 443 W. Chicago Street, was a bookkeeper for his father’s company, Henry McBride and Company, which sold coal, wood, lime, cement and stone. Martha and Thomas were married in 1889 and had three children including Wanita, Walter and Stanley. Thomas passed away in 1903 at the early age of 40 years old leaving the family with many business debts. Due to this, the house was sold at a sheriff’s auction in 1909 where Martha was the only bidder. She kept the family home until her death in 1925.
443 W. Chicago Street is considered a part of the Spindlework sub-type of the Queen Anne Style. The home displays much of its original features including the intricate vergeboard found at the front and cross gables, the squared bay window with top panels and brackets and the delicate spindlework porch supports with lace-like brackets and frieze found at the front porch. The home was sided in aluminum and more than likely is covering the patterned wood shingles and tight clapboard siding.
Sources: Steve Stroud-There Used to Be; Audio: TextAloud