440 SOUTH STREET
440 South Street was built for Raymond C. Fields and his wife, Margaret Eloise Manahan Fields in 1922 for $7,500. Margaret was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Manahan who lived at 325 Mill Street. Ray and Margaret married in 1914 quickly moving to Wheaton, Illinois where Raymond was employed by the Chicago, Aurora and Elgin electric line. They later moved back to Elgin in 1922 to their newly constructed home on South Street. The Fields lived at this home for a short time until selling it to Otto Hoersth and his mother Mari Hoersth in 1926.
440 South Street was built by D.L. Phillips, an Elgin contractor responsible for at least a dozen homes built in the 1920s. The features of this bungalow include the centered dormer on the roof, the use of earth-tones , the tapered or "battered" columns on the porch, the divided light windows and the fireplace in the living room.
Sources: 2013 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud