439 DIVISION STREET
439 Division Street was built around 1890 for William B. Long. William, born in 1848, serviced in the Civil War, although he was under age. When he returned to Elgin, he entered into the carpentry and construction trade. By 1889, he became the foreman of the Carpentry Department at the Elgin Watch Factory.
439 Division Street is in the late Victorian/Queen Anne style. Some characteristics of this style is the steep pitched roofs, long, narrow windows and detailed bracket and posts found at the front porch.
Sources: Gifford Park Association; Audio: TextAloud