429 JAY STREET
Originally numbered 153 Jay Street until the final numbering system change in 1894, 429 Jay was first occupied by Susan and Erwin Gould. Erwin was a carpenter and built the homes at 429 Jay, 423 Jay and 664 St. Charles Street. After suffering a stroke in 1902, he passed away in 1904.
The next owner to occupy the residence was Jacob Weber, a retired farmer. He sold the property to Sophia Miller, who subsequently turned the home into a rental. Later, the single family rental split into a more economical two flat, a relatively common practice in the lean years of the Great Depression. Over the years, the house served many of Elgin’s workers, including those employed by the Watch Factory.
429 Jay is an example of both the Italianate and Queen Anne styles. Some of the main Italianate features include the elaborated window crowns and tall narrow windows along with the brackets underneath the window on the north elevation and on some portions of the porches. The irregular floor plan of 429 Jay with decorative spindle work, large façade window point to some Free Classic Queen Anne influences.
Sources: 2000 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud