415 PARK STREET
Claude Seymour was raised in Elgin, and in adulthood took over his father’s coal business in 1909. After his father’s death in 1910, it remained a family affair with Claude at the helm and his wife and mother helping out.
In 1915, Claude and his wife, Lura, moved to 165 N. Gifford with their children. In 1927, the north half of lot 11 and the north half of the west half of lot 12 sold to Claude, who also acquired a $3,000 permit for what became 415 Park Street.
The Seymours lived together in the home until Claude’s death in 1964. After which, his daughter Carol sold the house on behalf of Claude’s estate.
415 Park Avenue is a nice example of a Tudor Revival style. Built in 1927, it has a rectangle floor plan, 2-stories tall with a cross gabled roof and a number of double hung 9-over-1 and 1-over-1 windows. Significant, character defining features include the steeply pitched roof – especially indicative of the Tudor Revival style – the stone chimney, diamond windows panes and the arched front door.
Sources: 1998 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud