412 FULTON STREET
412 Fulton Street was built in 1902 for Joseph and Hattie Rendell. The Rendell's purchased the lot for $1,100 and had this house as well as a barn built on it for $4,000. Joseph was born in Devonshire, England in 1873 and immigrated to Elgin in 1884 with his parents, Thomas and Elisabeth, his brother Benjamin and sister Caroline. Joseph was an employee for the Elgin Watch Company.
Known as the "wedding cake" house, 412 Fulton Street is in the Shingle Style with numerous bays, curved walls, and a hipped roof. The delightful scalloping rails on the front porch add a Queen Anne flavor to the home. The first floor has a beautiful leaded glass; the original front door; and an intricate curved parade porch. This home is considered a significant structure in the Elgin Historic District.
Sources: 1996 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud